Saturday, July 31, 2010

Don't Miss a Miracle

In Crystal's Blog yesterday, she talked about belief and God being able to do above and beyond what we could ever imagine. Well, her thoughts have been rolling around in my head and have spurred some thoughts in me.

Most of you who read this blog know that I was told in 2005 that I had Multiple Sclerosis. It was a frightening time in my life and I was faced with a LOT of things all at once. It was frustrating and the medication they gave me made me more crazy than I already am and it didn't help. The one thing that I struggled with more than anything, though, was beliving - believing that God had a purpose in my current state, believing that God was going to sustain me, believing that everything was going to be ok regardless of what happened, believing that God COULD heal me if it was His will.

When we're talking about spritiual matters, belief usually means we rely heavily on faith. Faith means we probably don't see, but still believe. SO HARD! I think there are most certainly times when we are bound to be like the man in Mark 9 who begged Jesus to help him overcome his unbelief. He desperately wanted to believe because Jesus had just told him that "everything is possible for him who believes..." but there was still doubt - still unbelief.  Even the disciples were aware that there was room for their faith to grow - Luke 17:5 says, The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"

There is one story from the Bible that stands high above all of the others for me, though, when I come to points in my faith journey when I am struggling with complete and total belief. Now, don't get me wrong, the MS story ends with God healing my body of the disease, so I KNOW THAT I KNOW THAT I KNOW God is able to do more than my human mind could even imagine. But just as the disciples knew that there was room for their faith to increase, so do I.  So, in those instances of struggling to belief with my entire being, I go back to the woman with the issue of blood. I never understood the size of a mustard seed thing (even after I finally saw a mustard seed), but simply having the faith to reach out...that's something I can identify with. She didn't even touch Him, just His robe! And she knew that's all it would take. So, when I need a 'burst of faith', I think of that woman - pushing through the crowd and trying desperately just to touch the edge of His garment.

Oh God, help us to believe - to simply reach out. We most certainly do NOT want to miss any miracles!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy