Monday, November 22, 2010

Einstein

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

I've thought about this quote alot over the last few years of my life - different situations, but we really can be creatures of habit. I typically don't have issues with change. I mean, if change is going to make things better, then why not? Don't get me wrong, though, some people insist on change for the sake of change - that's a different kind of insainity.

Others just refuse to change.

I don't ever want to be the person who does the same thing over and over and expects different results.

It happens in education.
"Well, I've done it this way every year and I've taught for 22 years. I am not going to change now. It's worked for others, so it will eventually work for these students."
Are you kidding me? That's INSANE!
I LOVE the educators who say, "This isn't working. Trash it or tweak it, but something has to change. I'm not getting the results I want."

I feel like we frequently do this in churches - not every church, but the church as a whole. We do things because "that's the way we've always done it" not because it's reaching people for Christ or empowering Christians to do more and expect more from Almighty God.

Here's a thought: It is 2010 (almost 2011). While the TRUTH never changes, perhaps our methods should.

Stop the insainity. If something isn't working...STOP. Try something else. Change is ok.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy