Thursday, March 1, 2012

One Day at a Time

I hate that I wait so long to blog that I don't know where to start - or even if I should.

Today was a good day. It was productive, but this has been one emotional week.

Monday, about an hour from where we now live, Chardon High School became known around the world. Seriously, people in South America and other countries have been sending words of encouragement to them. I sat and listened for 2 days and I finally had to turn the TV off. I bawled my eyes out. I remember the Heath High School shooting. It happened the year after I graduated from High School - about an hour from where I lived then. 3 girls died. 5 people were wounded - Missy Jenkins was the worst. She was paralyzed from the chest down.

This week, as 3 students died at that school, I've sat an wondered about their families. I've thought about the kids who had to walk back into the school today. I've thought about the teachers and the parents. And I have thought alot about the kid that did the shooting. He's 17. What makes a 17 year old carry a gun to school and randomly open fire? I made some really STUPID choices at 17. No one died because of them, but I can look back now and know that I was young and dumb. He has been charged with 3 counts of aggravated murder, 2 counts of aggravated attempted murder, and 1 felony count of assault. His life will most likely be spent in prison because of a choice at 17. I simply can't imagine.

Then Tuesday, an EF2 tornado destroyed some homes and buildings in the county where I lived in Illinois - it ripped the roof off of my high school. Much worse than that - an EF4 tornado ripped through a town about an hour from where I used to live. It killed 6 people. It flattened homes and businesses and injured so many people. I have cried over that too.

Like I said - emotional week and I've just kinda been beside myself. When did I start having feelings? Geesh!

1 comments:

Sonya said...

All of those events are so sad. I knew you were from IL, I didn't realize you had lived in the southern part.

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy