Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sheena Talks...About Energy Conservation While Driving

For those of you who couldn't figure it out from the title, this edition of Sheena Talks...is full of subject matter that I have NO knowledge of. I decided to do a little research, though, after hubby mentioned it as the reason he was driving like a maniac!

Something about coasting - no gas - energy conservation, blah, blah, blah.

Here's what I found out:
-it's technically called Ecodriving
-you basically take care of normal maintenance on your car and change your driving habits and you get improvements in fuel economy (15-20%) and reduce carbon dioxide emissions
-don't step on the brakes (well, not unless you have to stop) - something about the kinetic energy you have being transferred to the brakes (and that's bad because you lose energy to move forward - silly me, I thought that's what the gas peddle was for) - SO optimal use requires you to drive so that you don't have to use the brakes
-don't be a speed demon (lookin' at you hubby) - steady speed, low RPMs
-close the windows while you're driving on the highway - something about the car's aerodynamics being disturbed and causing it to be less energy efficient

Ok, that's all I can stand on this subject. Hope you learned something today, kids. If you want to know more, call my hubby.

1 comments:

Sonya said...

Some people are being really wasteful considering they can't stay off their brakes! I've never understood why anyone would want to drive down a highway with the windows down anyway. The noise is just too much for me!

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy