Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thoughts on Leading Worship

As I was thinking ahead to Sunday morning and asking God (out of my frustration, mind you) what was really going to make a difference (and I was specifically referring to the music portion of our worship service) - what would draw people closer to His heart, to a deeper point in their relationship with Him - a few things came to me.

As a worship leader (and regardless of whether you are THE LEADER, the drummer, etc., you are leading worship), it is our job (collectively) to usher in the presence of the Holy Spirit so that God can do His work among His people. Worship isn't really for US...it's for Him. I mean, technically, we could sing anything in worship of Him, but is that all He desires? I don't think so. He desires our hearts - US. I think God's expects that worship will draw us closer to Him and....wait for it....CHANGE us.

I am really sick of superficial worship...like, fed up, makes me nauseous and want to vomit sort of sick. Anyone feel me? You can sing great songs and not a single person be moved - physically or spiritually. This makes me weep! I need depth, people! DEPTH! There are days when I need comforting and it comes from those depths with God, but most of the time depth does not equal comfort for me. Depth in worship means that I am coming into the presence of Almighty God. Burning bush, anyone? NOT. COMFORTABLE. However, you can't leave the presence of God and not be changed. Isn't that what we should be striving for? Change. Being molded into the image of our Lord, bit by bit (and comfort can be found in that).

Worship leaders - strive for depth tomorrow. Be well-rehearsed so that you don't have to think about the music and YOU can simply worship God for who He is. Wherever you lead, your congregation will follow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy